Translate

Thursday, September 3, 2015

A thinner wallet can be a good thing!

A few years ago I decided that my wallet had become too thick.  It contained the usual assortment of cards including driver's license, library card, debit and credit cards and also half a dozen rewards cards.  So I decided to do something about it.  I scanned in the face of all of my rewards cards, and then scanned the bar codes on the back and then tiled them all together in Photoshop:
I scaled the bar codes as large as practical and have never had a problem with them scanning at the cashier.  After I printed out the card, I covered both surfaces with 2 inch wide clear packing tape to protect it.

Now when a cashier asks me for my rewards card, I offer them the card and isolate the bar code they want to scan between my fingers so the scanner does not get confused by reading the wrong bar code.  A number of cashiers have complimented me on my clever idea so I thought I would share it with my readers.

Chiropractors are aware that sitting on a thick wallet can contribute to a whole host of issues ranging from scoliosis to neck pain, and I certainly feel more comfortable now that it is nearly 1/4 inch thinner.

* A reader just commented that there is "an app for that" called Stocard.  I personally don't use a smart phone, but this seems very useful.  Not sure where most folks carry their phones, but if it's in their back pocket, they will still have back health issues.

2 comments :

  1. Women usually carry their phone in their purse but some like the back pocket. I think men typically use their front pockets with some in a holster. However the ever increasing size of some phones like the IPhone 6+ precludes the back pocket in most cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I keep mine in my front pocket when I carry it at all. But it is a small LG "dumb phone". The new bigger phones are called "phablets" (PHone + tABLET) in the industry jargon. Crazy how big they keep getting.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all thoughtful comments and feedback!