|Trash from 3/4 mile of local roads (I removed the redeemables and recyclables).|
- Community service - I value my community, and Maine is known as "Vacationland" so it is important to keep our roads clean and attractive.
- Environmental stewardship - 'nuff said.
- Treasure hunt - as I walk searching for distinctive shiny or bright objects, there is an element of treasure hunting and the reward is often 5 cents.
- Good exercise - I generally walk between two and 3 miles and the roads are hilly enough that I raise my heart rate and work up a sweat even on cold days. It's not just walking but all the bending and stretching that makes it a good aerobic workout. I often stray out into the fields on each side of the road where windblown trash shows up and there is some scrambling around to get there and back.
- Visible activism - by being highly visible on the road and picking up trash I am hoping to inspire other people to follow suit, or at least raise their awareness of the issue.
- Grateful neighbors - every now and then a neighbor will stop and say "thank you". It's not the main reason I do this but it's nice to be acknowledged.